Friday, April 13, 2007

SOHO under the knife.

I havent tinkered with either of my bikes wince I did the crank transplant and put on a new Dura-Ace on the road bike. Now I am casting a wandering eye on the SOHO city bike and two things are on the list. New handle bars-brake levers, and single speeding it. It has a single chainring crank on the front already, but it comes with a 9 speed setup on the back. I will for the short term just remove the deraileur, pick a gear ratio I like, shorten the chain to fit and snug it up with the eccentric bottom bracket. Once I am sure about the gear ratio I want I will buy some spacers and an adapter and take all the other extra 8 gears off. Up front this will mean I can take off the gear selector, and cable and put on a new handlebar with some sleek new brake levers. I ordered up a Soma Fabrications Bullhorn Urban pursuit bar. Fancy name for a cromed bullhorn bar. I also ordered some bar end brake levers that will allow me to run the cables under the tape or inside the bar. The only thing I have liked about the current bars that came with the bike are the looks and they have a gap in the middle that allow you to hang a U-lock thru them. I dont own a U0lock and I dont leave this bike where I need to lock it up. The one thing I really dont like is how uncomfortable they are. There is only one real hand position and it a few degrees off comfortable. Hopefully the bull bars will let me tape up more of an area and give a little more comfort. This will also knock a little weight off the bike with the removal of a shifter and derailleur and make it sleeker. Picks will follow once the UPS man delivers....

No comments: