Monday, April 9, 2007

Blog on blog.....

What a week. Friends in the hospital being tougher than I think I could be after tackling an SUV and living to tell about it. Old home visits that bring back nostalgia and a yearning for the "good old days". Friends helping family by taking on some extra family members. Oh, and my new favorite place in town, The Cuban sammich king.

Our thoughts are with our friend in Atlanta. She is recovering from a scooter-SUV accident and she had a bounce back hospital vivist. But she is tough and determined, and has a great fomily around her, so I have faith she will get better.

I was reading another friends blog about visiting the old home area, and the influx of formula box stores. I am as guilty of patronizing them as anyone else, but it almost seems like creativity is not given a chance against the onslaught of cookie cutter mass merchandising. Does that mean I am getting older and crankier when my mind rails against these things or is a yearning for the past, thinking about the good old days? Actually when it comes to disposable income shopping (bikes, hobbies, books) I really like finding the independent dealer that has knowledge, enthusiasm, and a real interest in the subject on his side.

Some other friends have taken in a dog on the short term. I admire them because they already have 4 dogs in the pack at thier house and you might think the jump from 4 to 5 is not a large jump, but fitting a new piece into the puzzle is always a challenge. New rules, old rules, new habits, old habits, I wish them luck and a little calmness in the near future.

I walked across the downtown circle the other afternoon to check out the sammich (I spell it that way on purpose) shop. I have noticed it being open at extended ours for our sleepy little town and wanted to see what up. It is owned and run by an older Cuban gentleman, and when I walking in I immediatly flashed to the Soup Nazi episodes of Seinfeld. He is very deliberate in everything he does and he looks like he is about to snap at you at any second. But growing up in Florida and knowing some Cuban people from my past, I know this is just a cultural persona that is mainly a shell exterior. Below it they are all great people. I ordered up a grilled chicken sammich and it was fantastic. this goes back to the comment above about enthusiasm, knowledge and interest in the job. The shop is a tiny little shop with a counter for 8 people and the grill area. You can watch him fix the food and you get the impression that he knows what he is doing and everything he does is to the same exacting standard. From sammiches to the cuban coffe shots to the handcut plantains, it is all good. So now I have two places with great food withing 200' of the apartment. This is a very good thing.

1 comment:

Betsy said...

Mmmmm... Cuban sandwich. That sounds like a cool place. When we lived in A2, we had a neat little Caribbean place across the street with like four barstools. Those are the kinds of places that make good neighborhoods. I suspect you'll do your part to keep him in business!