Saturday, April 21, 2007

Do it yourself crab legs.....

Had to roll to the big city of Orlando this Saturday to pickup my cousin at the airport on the far side of town. Luckily this let me stop at Petty's Meat Market. It is a haven of good food and good meat counter. I found some King Crab legs on sale (cousins request), some Petty's own turkey sausage (with sun dried tomatoes, olive oil, garlic and secret spices), a nice hunk of Parmegan Reggiano cheese, 2 nice bottles of Pinot Noir, some Whippets chocolate cookies, and some roasted garlic mustard. I am glad I dont live next door due to the $170 I dropped in there. But it was good. I took the crab legs, split them in half, brushed them with olive oil, butter, salt and pepper and broiled quickly to heat them up and they were pretty good. Between my cousin, my mom and I we wiped out 4 pounds worth. It is nice to have little hideaways like Petty's around. I cant wait till tomorrow to try out the Turkey sausage for brunch. The other nice thing is that they usually have a couple bottles of wine open for sampling when you go in and they always have a keg of beer tapped for "samples" while you shop (there is a little note on top please asking everyone to limit themselves to 2 "samples" but I didnt see any beer police on patrol. Very friendly place, very cool selections.

While I was in town mom had me stop by and check out verandah funiture for her while she is on the mend from knee surgery. The place had some real nice selections and some really good stuff, which they were very proud of. You could tell how much they liked it by the price on the tag.

The thrd stop was at the bike shop to pick up some tools for the do it myself personality. I picked up a real nice heavy duty cable and housing cutter and a spiffy Topeak Chain robot (link breaker). I am aiming to open my own shop one day once I have all the tools I need.

3 comments:

Suzy Neal said...

When you do open Fred's Bike Shop, I think you need to make sure you have a keg available for samples!

Sounds like some really good eats this weekend.

I am so glad your mom is recouping so well. She should go check out Sam's Club for some outdoor furniture. I know when we were looking at stuff for the cabin, we too had sticker shock at some of those outdoor patio places.

Clark said...

Those crab legs sound great - interesting way to cook them, I've only ever had them steamed in beer and Old Bay seasoning - is that a Fred creation, or did you read about it somewhere?

pedalista said...

Read it online on some generic blog. The cooking method I would give a 8 out of 10. The quality of the crab was probably a 7.5 out of 10. It was good, but not great. The nice part is when you chop all the legs in half and lay them meat side up it makes it a whole lot less messy to dig into the legs. The only hard part was getting a sharp enough edge on moms knifes so they would cut through the shells.

PS When the bike shop opens, Clark will be in charge of stocking and maintaining the keg setup in exchange for bicycle type considerations (cheap parts and free labor!)