Friday, September 28, 2007

3 weeks, 2400 miles, 2 wheels and no pickup truck

Took the Riders Edge MSF class and as soon as I finished I left the truck at dad's house and jumped on my new Honda VFR Interceptor and rode it home. And then like Forest Gump I liked it so much I just kept riding and riding and riding. A week at home and then two weeks on the road for business and pleasure. Used UPS and Fedex to ship what I couldnt carry on the motorcycle and had a great time. Visited friends, road my bicycle a little, took some leadership classes at headquarters, ate a lot of good roadfood, some GREAT roadfood and a little mediocre roadfood. Stuck to the highways and backroads as much as possible and only used the Interstate when necessary. Learned a lot and learned that I still have a lot to learn to become a proficient rider and a SAFE rider. The best meal on the trip was Clarks Home Grill serving up some Wagyu bone in ribeyes for dinner one night. Mega size and mega tasty. The best restaraunt meal was the Triangle in Charleston for the boneless porkchop blueplate lunch special, that really hit the spot and fueled me up on the last days ride to the house. The most relaxing day of the trip was the second Saturday in Myrtle Beach. Walked up the beach and down the beach, had some good beach dive food for lunch and a "few" Guiness at the Molly Darcy Pub next door. Best riding day was Sunday from Albany to Charlotte. Lots of good backroads and a tasty sausage biscuit breakfast at Striplings in Warwick, GA, thanks Paula Deen! Best sleep of the trip was the Tuesday night I got home, 585 miles, 12 hours on the road, 2 beers when I got home and my own soft bed at the end of the day.

Where to next? Key West maybe or another beach trip. Will have to look at the calender and clear a stretch of days, the road is calling and the bike is willing.

No comments: